Access Top Level methods

Hi,

I am trying to access top level method from the class definition in
IronRuby scripts. Example:

def global_hi
end

class A
def hi
global_hi

A.new.hi

The script executed in ScriptEngine throws a NoSuchMethodError.
I tried to ran the same code in iirb.exe It seems to behave the way I
expected. But when I tried it in ir.exe, it throws the exception as
well.
I investigate a little more and found out

irb(main):021:0> self.method(:global_hi)
=> #<Method: Object#global_hi>
and
in ir.exe as well as script engine

self.method(:xx)
=> #<Method: Object(#<Class:#Object:0x0000058>)#xx>

Is there anyway to make the script behave like the one in iirb.exe?

Thanks,
Lewis

I cannot reproduce this issue with IronRuby 1.1.3.0 on .NET
4.0.30319.235
It works as expected: ir.exe result is same as irb result.

Regards

[...]

Thanks for the reply. My main development version is on 1.1 for .NET
3.5. However, I did try it on 1.1.3 on .NET 4.0.30319.225 and still are
able to reproduce the issue. I am running Windows XP 32bit environment.
Is there any environment variables I should look into? Here is the
screen copy I just did.

As far as I understand, the global environment is actually a ‘main’
Object. The function defined in the global scope should be translated to
private method of Object class which is what it shows in iirb.bat. Not
sure why ir.exe as well as the ScriptEngine behaves differently.

Thanks for your time!
Lewis

c:\Program Files\IronRuby 1.1\bin>ir
IronRuby 1.1.3.0 on .NET 4.0.30319.225
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

def global_hi
… puts ‘hi’
… end
=> nil

class A
… def hi
… global_hi
… end
… end
=> nil

A.new.hi
(ir):3:in hi': undefined methodglobal_hi’ for #<A:0x0000056>
(NoMethodError)
from (ir):1

self.method(:global_hi)
=> #<Method: Object(#<Class:#Object:0x0000058>)#global_hi>

exit

c:\Program Files\IronRuby 1.1\bin>iirb
irb(main):001:0> def global_hi
irb(main):002:1> puts ‘hi’
irb(main):003:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):004:0> class A
irb(main):005:1> def hi
irb(main):006:2> global_hi
irb(main):007:2> end
irb(main):008:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):009:0> A.new.hi
hi
=> nil
irb(main):010:0> self.method(:global_hi)
=> #<Method: Object#global_hi>
irb(main):011:0>

Hi,

I am doing this to implement a DSL. I want to allow user to define some
function and be used by the DSL. Without this, I don’t know how to get
it working. I am sure there is a rational explanation for what I see.
Could someone help me please?

Thanks,
Lewis